Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sweet & Spicy Chili

  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1-3 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used one, feel free to use more if you like)
  • 3 cans tomatoes & their juice (I used a can each of diced, crushed, and whole that I chopped myself)
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds for less heat... I added the seeds in halfway through because I was skeert it would be too spicy!)
  • brown sugar
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped or diced
  • chopped red onion (optional, I threw it in because I had some left over)
  • seasonings to taste: kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, cumin, chili powder. I also added some apple cider vinegar and a teensy bit of liquid smoke.
Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain. Turn heat to high and throw the onion in for a minute or two, until they get some color. Place beef and onions in a slow-cooker (or big pot or Dutch oven) along with tomatoes and their juice, jalapeno, and brown sugar, red onion if using, and apples if chopped. Season to taste and simmer at least an hour for flavors to blend. If apples are diced, add them during last twenty minutes of cooking time.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment